5 reasons why learning English is so important
1. English may not be the most spoken language in the world, but it is the official language in a large number of countries. It is estimated that the number of people in the world that use English to communicate on a regular basis, is 2 billion!
2. English is the dominant business language and it has become almost a necessity for people to speak English if they are to enter a global workforce, research from all over the world shows that cross-border business communication is most often conducted in English. Its importance in the global market place therefore cannot be understated, learning English really can change your life.
3. Many of the world’s top films, books and music are published and produced in English. Therefore by learning English you will have access to a great wealth of entertainment and will be able to have a greater cultural understanding.
4. Most of the content produced on the internet (50%) is in English. So knowing English will allow you access to an incredible amount of information which may not be otherwise available!
5. Many school and university lessons and lectures are taught in English and the exams are set (and answered) in English. If the question is not fully understood, then the candidate will surely provide an incorrect answer!
Although learning English can be challenging and time consuming, we can see that it is also very valuable to learn and can create many opportunities!
We believe that if you have not grown up in a family that was English speaking at home, you may well need to seriously consider doing one or more courses in English – so that you can read, write and understand English very well.
Even people who are English speaking could benefit from taking one or more of the advanced English courses.
We have identified the following FREE English courses that will help you tremendously in learning how to write, speak and understand English well. See which one you fancy and enrol today! Good luck – persevering with a course such as this will be very helpful in your future – especially if you are intending to study Maths and/or Science at University!
British Council: Academic Writing
Will your University lecturer, lecture and expect you to understand what they say in English and then expect you to write in English?
Our new section that shows you how to write everything from essays to case studies to lab reports, with plenty of exercises, videos and examples from successful assignments.
British Council Learn English:
British Council Learn English for teens:
FREE ESL English materials, ideas & concepts – click here!
1. World English Institute:
2. Talk English:
3. Learn English with lesson plans and tests:
4. USA learns English:
5. Learn English Daily:
6. More advanced English concepts:
7. Islcollective: printable worksheets (doc/docx) and PowerPoints
8. Using English: quizzes, tests, worksheets & handouts
9. One stop English: topics, skills, grammar, teenagers